Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Nick_Ch1_PERLIN_Q

I don't think I understand how Perlin's "hyper-believability" (p. 15) is possible when we are in a participatory environment, such as a video games. When we walk away the game it is going to stop. Even when it continues going (ie. The Sims) all dramatic action comes to a stop and if it doesn't there runs the risk of annoying the user. For example, if I set up a nice little world in SimCity then walk away and a tornado hits I'm going to be angry. I, as the mayor of Nickville, was not able to probably respond to the disaster and therefore I feel the game cheated me.

Beyond that I also don't agree with Perlin's idea that the agency I feel when reading Harry Potter books is any different than when I play a video game (p. 15). I don't expect to open the book and find Harry grew and lived while I was away. As I also don't expect Lara Croft to change or grow or live as I am away from the video game.

Anyway my question is Perlin's idea of "hyper-believability" possible when we are in a participatory environment?

1 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger flook said...

I agree with you Nick. I had a real difficuly time buying into Perlin's arguments about hyper-believability. The graphics on games like the Sims are good, but they do not convince anybody that it is reality. Like you said, people can walk away. I think this first chapter was filled with people who are writing about technology of the future as they predict it today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home