Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Nick_Ch4_Pearce_Q

Pearce states, "the largest controversy has to do with the use of 'cut-scenes' also known as 'cinematics'" (p. 148). This is where the game stops and there is a segment of high quality video or graphics, usually used as the major narrative section of the game. My problem is that it stops the game dead in its tracks. You could be completely immersed in the energy and action of the game, but then you get to the cut-scene and bang-o* all action stops. I think this is also a major problem in many of the ideas of interactive television or DVD's.

So, how can we tell a story and keep the action going? Is this a technical limitation in the gaming world or something else?

*ha

1 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Betsy Pike said...

In FF8 I only played to watch the cut scenes. And in FF9, my friend played it, and I came in only to watch the cut scenes.

I thought they were beautifully done, that the cut scenes were the most interesting part of the game... I guess I was looking to watch a movie and not play a game.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home